Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wet One Way or Another

I've been on the bike a bunch since my last post. It's so hot here, that whenever I go out, even for the smallest ride (to the store, for instance), I come back having sweat profusely.
Yesterday, however, I went on a long and interesting ride with my friend S*, and we got caught in an awful storm. Riding through the French Quarter, a drizzle became a deluge, and we sought shelter under one of the many balconies there. A while later, it abated, we rode on, and made it about four blocks before the rain regained its strength and sent us under another balcony. Already wet, and encouraged by a lightening in the cloud cover, we set off again when the rain abated again, and this time we left the close-built sanctuary of the Quarter for wider, less balconied streets. Through Midcity, past the art museum, to and through City Park we rode for almost an hour, and then aimed for our respective homes again. This was the worst, wettest part. The roads we took returning were busier and hole-ier, and the rain was steady now. It soaked us from above, but I was lucky enough to receive extra water-treatment, thanks to a car and a pothole filled with water.
I could make it sound worse, and it was, but I won't.

In other news, I bought my books, met one T*, a fellow grad student, and made potential plans to go out tonight and meet more fellow grad students.

*Names changed to protect the innocent.

No comments: