Friday, August 14, 2009

1 Horsepower

I'm back in the saddle again
Out where a friend is a friend
Where the longhorn cattle feed
On the lowly gypsum weed
Back in the saddle again

Ridin' the range once more
Totin' my old .44
Where you sleep out every night
And the only law is right
Back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again


I got the bike out today, finally. Yes, I rode safely. Yes, I wore a helmet. And yes, I was bookin' it. The roads here are not very smooth, so I did more looking at the street than looking around. It was very nice to ride in nearby Audubon Park, on a path that circles the pond in the middle. I also rode by the river, but I'm not sure how I got to where that was. More on that (and possibly pictures) tomorrow or something. Today, though, was a perfect day for biking. It didn't rain, even though it looked threatening in the morning, and it turned into a clear, warm, slightly breezy day. (Definitely the hot kind of warm, but not really bad.)

After the park, I aimed for the Warehouse District, and I don't think I got there. I followed Magazine Street for a long way, and passed through some charming stretches of shops, but then arrived at a large sign reading DO NOT ENTER, and turned around. Magazine was the bumpiest of my routes today.

I also rode to Winn-Dixie, and bought some Hubig's New Orleans Style Pies, which are a local delicacy. They are about as good for you as Pop-Tarts, although a Pop-Tart in its wildest, passion-induced dreams could never know what it is to be a Hubig's pie. They're very good, and I've only had one flavor, Apple, so far.

That trip to the Winn-Dixie completes my tour of the major grocery stores around here, I think. I still have one more small one to visit.

Perhaps delicious beans and Brussels tonight.

No comments: