Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Going Places

Most of my adventures don't seem to me much worth the telling, so pardon the spare account--also I've been walking around all day (as you will soon learn!), and I don't have too much energy for this.

First I hit Tulane on business. I had to find my mailbox and its contents. That easily done, I toured the campus more thoroughly than I did the first time. It's a very nice campus, complete with quadrangles and sculptures and student centers and all the rest (of the things I did not have at Roosevelt). There are not many students about, but that makes me wonder more about the few that are.

Then I took the streetcar toward downtown and the French Quarter, with my sights set on a place called The Museum of the American Cocktail. It took awhile, though, because a streetcar broke down right in front of ours, so after a powwow of drivers and badges, they threw it in reverse and took us down the other track to pass the stalled car. Despite the delay, there was little impatience on display from the other passengers.

I found the museum, which is inside another museum (the Southern Food museum) in the corner of a mall. I learned some things. Did you know that the type of cocktail ingredient known as "bitters" was originally any flavored prescription syrup? Well, it's true.

From the Riverside Mall, I began to skirt around the French Quarter, to get some sense of its size and what becomes of it. I did that for awhile, and by then I was very hungry, so I found some jambalaya and ate it. I still haven't seen the Quarter on a weekend night, which I assume is its peak business time.

I also purchased an antenna for my TV, so you'll soon hear about the local programming.

That was mostly my day: Lots of walking, not enough eating. I'm going to rectify that now.

No comments: