Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pyrotechnically Speaking

Tonight, those pops in the distance are definitely fireworks, because I can see them from my window. It’s Guy Fawkes Night in the Empire. For those who need a little background, part of the rhyme goes,
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, twas his intent
To blow up the King and the Parli’ment,

But they caught him and that’s why they celebrate. Now, I don’t mean to suggest that James I should have been killed, but this particular holiday seems like a frenzy over the protection of tradition. Thank goodness, the monarchy survived.
I’m personally thankful to be from a country that, in the same frenzied way, celebrates a successful revolution rather than a failed one.

Also, people in the Black Country of England (a region so named for the side-effects its coal, iron, and steel production) tonight are eating groaty pudding, also know as groaty dick. I think I'll stick with potato salad.

No comments: