Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Kind of Like the Tooth Fairy

It's almost two in the morning here. I've been watching CNN in the JCR for two hours, and I actually know nothing about the election. The energy in the room peaked when the pizza arrived around 11:30. But from the number of people in the room then, the buzz drowning out the TV, the printouts of American flags and pictures of candidates, I knew they weren't there just for the pizza.

I saw Chicago on TV a lot. To the Brits, I would guess this meant very little, the way Gloucester or Nottingham would mean little to me aside from not being London. But I missed it.

It's amazing how much the heads can talk without any prompt. But, from what I've read, this election is finally something they can't capture in their analysis. I take it on faith that the people on the mainland know what's going on, because they're the only ones who really can know.

This is really exciting, but I'm going to be asleep for the best part.

I've heard some sentiment about this election being a turnaround, a righting of long wrongs, an overcoming. I believe it, but from the perspective of my generation, this is the kind of thing that can happen, and say, why hasn't it yet? I don't know what to say to mark the occassion.

Update: I just checked 538.com, and it sure looks like the bag is filling. A good day for America, the rest of the world, and a good morning for me tomorrow.

No comments: