Saturday, November 22, 2008

Idol Worship Pt. 2

Today was the organized trip to Warwick ("War-ick") and Stratford-upon-Avon. I initially knew about the latter destination and not the former, but Historybuff Ted told me this morning we were going to a castle. I said no, we were going to see Shakespeare. We were both right.

Warwick Castle was alright, but Ted was disappointed that they focused mostly on its 19th century life rather than the other eight centuries of its history. My guess is that Madame Tussaud's people had a hand in the displays, as there were very lifelike versions of a multitude of characters (including the current Queen, in the room in which she ate lunch in 1996--such was Ted's gripe) populating most of the rooms. There was an impressive collection of pikes, spears, swords, and daggers on display. But it was, overall, very beautiful.

But then we got to Stratford, and I became especially interested in how many ways the local businesses could use Shakespeare references in their promotion. The winners were Will's Shakes and Shakespearience. We really didn't have much time there, especially since we decided to have lunch upon arrival (where the menu featured a caricature of the poet enjoying spaghetti). The only historical location we hit was Shakespeare's grave, which was pretty neat. I wanted to buy some liquor for a libation, but it's a good thing I didn't, because he's buried inside a local church.

The best thing we found just as we were heading back to the bus: A statue of a dancing jester, placed on a base that featured various quotes about The Fool in the plays. The best, the best.

I bought a "dingly-dangly" Shakespeare magnet which is awesome and will soon (too soon!) be available for viewing on my refridgerator. I also bought a block-printed postcard with a quote from King Lear: "When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools." I love it. Maybe it seems a little bit downish to some of you, but it makes me smile every time I look at it, and I will be doing a good bit of that.

It's time to eat fish and chips at Hall, and I'm pretty hungry.

No comments: