Friday, December 4, 2009

Keeping Warm

I know, I know. It's been too long. But I finally have some things to say.

I'm sitting by the fire, in my study, keeping out the cold Southern winter. Am I kidding? Nope. It really is cold. I really am studying (or was, before I decided to blog). And there really is a fire. See, down here, there isn't too much call for heat, but there is some--I think today it's about as cold as it's going to get, and it's in the 40s. The northern side of Lake Pontchartrain is expecting a dusting of snow tonight, the same that Houston got yesterday. Whatever insulation my side of the lake gets from the Gulf is protecting us from that, but we'll get some kind of cold precipitation...right now, actually. The clouds must have heard me blogging.

Forty degrees Fahrenheit is no beach party, but it is no Northern winter either, and it won't last long. (The fifteen-day outlook says it will be 70 again soon!) So houses down here don't make a big deal about heat. The standard equipment is a small metal box that holds an adjustable gas flame (see this link for pictures). My apartment has three of these, one in each bedroom and one in the middle of the house, and that's plenty. I have been resisting lighting mine for several weeks, since my roommate told me (and I later discovered myself) that leaving these little gas burners on really dries out the air. At night, I have been huddled up with the two blankets I brought down with me. But on this occasion of nearby snow, I thought I'd better make sure my heater worked, and learn how to work it. It's burning away right now, heating the room just enough. (Though I suppose I would be my own Scrooge, I can't help thinking of Bob Cratchit's cell with its one coal.)

The whole town will be warmer on Sunday, when the Saints play for their twelfth straight victory. (That's football, for those of you who don't follow.) This is an exciting place to be this season, and maybe I'll write a little celebratory blog if the Saints (11-0) march over the Redskins (3-8) like they have every other team so far.

What's really exciting is to consider the possibility of a Saints superbowl. It would be nine days before Mardi Gras. This city might just explode.

The semester is coming to a grand finale this week, and I'll try to keep you apprised of it!

No comments: